The moon works in distinct ways on the earth. For one, she is most felt and seen on full and new moon days, when she moves the tides of the ocean and allows our emotions more easily to surface. However, in correlation with the astrological star signs she has also a specific influence on when to cut the leaves of plants or change their earth for better growth, when to cut our hair for more strength and vitality, when to plan operations and stronger medical treatments or when to start a fast.
How to flow with a Waning Moon
Waning Moon phases after the Full Moon help you to let go. Just as the light of the moon is retreating itself into darkness during two weeks, the influence of the moon is also retreating itself and therefore supports you to let go of old things, shed some extra weight or go within. Think of a minus pole here.
How to flow with a Waxing Moon
The Waxing Moon phases after the New Moon help you to bring something new into your life. As the light is coming back into the moon, it is also coming back into your life in form of new energy, new intentions and new power for creation. Think of a plus pole here.
5 Keys To Harness the Power of the New Moon
New Moons are like a zero starting point. The slate is wiped clean and the soil is being prepared in darkness for new seeds to be planted. New Moons are the best time to start something new, get clear on the future and bring fresh energy into our life.
- Set your intentions and journal them down. In ancient shamanic traditions the New Moon is called upon to manifest a dream, a hearts desire or a wish, and release it to the moon so it can blossom in its own time.
- Cut your hair if you'd not like it to grow fast again. This goes for unwanted body hair as well as for keeping a good haircut in place as long as possible.
- Take a Fast and Relax. New Moon is the best day in the month to release extra weight, toxins and stagnant energy. Use this day to drink lots of water, herbal teas or detox juices, eat light fruits or steamed unflavoured vegetables, go to a Sauna, get a massage and take rest. Do nothing for one day.
- Schedule a surgery on this day, if need be. Since the New Moon is a day of reset for the whole system, it is also the best day to help the body to let go of any unwanted energies or illnesses from the body, like cysts.
- Plant leafy greens, herbs or decorative plants. Greens with lots of leafs grow much better when planted on New Moon or the waxing moon, as the energy of the water starts to be pulled upwards and therefore into the greens.
5 Keys To Harness the Power of the Full Moon
Full Moons are the Zenit of something that has reached completion. It's when all the energies have gathered to such an extend that the natural next step is to let go and release. Full Moons are the best time to to take inventory of what no longer serves us and where we can make more space for something better to come in.
- Let go of unwanted habits, people or circumstances. Full Moon is the most powerful of moons to help you to let go. Get out a journal and pen to paper write down what you'd like to release from your life, asking the Full Moon to assist you with it in a harmonious way. Then rip the paper apart and burn it outside.
- Grow a lions mane. Today is the day! A hair cut on full moon grows the hair the fastest, strongest and thickest.
- Plant root and fruit plants. When the energy is retreating itself and slowly decreasing, it is energetically retreating itself into the earth and therefore enhances the growth and vitality of roots, like root vegetables, as well fruit trees and plants.
- Do a shamanic house cleanse. As the energies are ready to release and leave, it's the best time in a month to air out the house, use Sage or Palo Santo to smudge each room including the corners, bring out the garbage as well as unused items to a thrift store, re-arrange books and decorative items, clean the windows and make space for the New to come in.
- Make a list of your needs and wants. As the Full Moon is energetically the strongest, it also brings out the strongest emotions. Which makes a good day to get a feel for each area of your life, to see if you are in operating at your energetic optimum here. Check in with your current feelings about your family, partner & relationship, work, friends & community, communication, intuition and spirituality, and see if these areas are truly in alignment with your highest good. If they are not in alignment, revert back to step one and add things to the let go list.
If you are in Bali, it's a good opportunity to also visit a local temple on the day of a Full Moon and New Moon Ceremony, bring some offerings to the deities to further assist you in your intentions and receive a blessing from the local priest. According to the Balinese, the Full Moon and New Moon are sacred days to remind us of the fleeting nature of the cycles of life, the light and dark within and the power of prayer.